Everyone has seen the long, flowing, effortless beachy waves and curls that are so popular at the moment. But for those of us without a personal stylist or several hours in the morning to do our hair, is achieving that look on a regular basis really realistic?
Fortunately, with a few simple tricks and easy-to-use products, this beautiful and trendy hairstyle is within reach for even the most beginner hairstylists among us.
– When you are trying to achieve wave and texture while going from wet hair to dry hair, the best bet is to start with a volumizing shampoo. Our preferred brand at Element Salon is Kérastase’s volumizing shampoo, but there are many different types of quality volumizing shampoos on the market.
– Before moving to the blow-drying phase, use a heat protector like Kérastase’s Nectar Thermique. This helps to keep your hair from being damaged by the high temperatures of your hair dryer.
– There are several different methods for blow-drying. You can use a round brush, which takes a little practice to learn how to do. Or you can simply flip your head over and employ a power dry using a diffuser for maximum volumizing effect.
– Once your hair is mostly dry, you can start to curl it. At Element Salon, we use GHD curling irons, but no matter which iron you choose, you want to make sure that you keep it at a 1” barrel for medium length hair and a 1.25” barrel for longer hair.
– The most important factor in how a curl turns out and whether it stays in place is what product you use. Choosing a quality multipurpose texturizing spray like Shu Uemura’s Texture Wave spray will create volume without looking or feeling sticky.
– Curl your hair in just a few parts. Divide it in half, top to bottom, and then separate each half into four or five pieces. In total, unless your hair is extremely thick, you should not need more than ten or so pieces to be able to curl your entire head.
– Curl the middle only. Do not curl all the way to the roots, or all the way to the tips. Leave about an inch in either direction, as this will achieve that “beachy” look. Make sure to curl away from your face, too.
– At the end, wait for your hair to cool so the curls have time to set and run your hands through your hair gently.
– Finish with a few more spritzes of texturizing spray, or for especially unmanageable hair, try a hairspray like Shu Uemura’s Sheer Lacquer hairspray, which will give a strong and durable hold without making your head or hands feel sticky.
– And last but not least: be fabulous!
Following the above steps will give you effortless, flowing, wavy locks that look like you got them professionally done. But for the times when you really do need a professional, Element Salon Nashville is here for you. Schedule an appointment with one of our talented hair stylists by calling (615) 383-2045, or visit our website at elementsalonnashville.com.